Adding the suffix: -ably or -ibly
Handy tip - Use -ably if you can hear the full root word before the suffix. For example: comfortably. 'Comfort' is a word on its own.
Use -ibly if you can't hear a full root word before the suffix. For example: terribly. 'Terr' is not a word on its own.
1. Find a definition for each of you spellings. Use www.wordhippo.com!
2. Copy out these sentences. Choose the correct spelling word to complete them.
I always make sure my work is written ______________.
We always line up for assembly ______________.
I could not ______________ eat another bite!
When you are sitting _______________, I will begin.
My computer has been working _________________for years.
3. Copy out these sentences. Choose the correct spelling for each.
Class 5 are working incredably/incredibly hard this week.
My cat has become visibly/vissibly thinner over the last month.
I am terribly/teribly hungry!
The bully behaved horrably/horribly towards the other children.
He was a dependably/dependibly charming young man.
4. Practice your spellings on Spelling Shed (or on paper) throughout the week.
5. Join our Hive Game next Thursday at 2pm. The code you will need is: 231472